Homemade Fry Bread and Navajo Tacos will forever and always be one of my favorite foods! Yes eating healthy is great and all but sometimes we need some all-out comfort food like these Navajo Tacos.
With this recipe you get tender fry bread layered with a seasoned ground beef filling, followed by lots of veggies (think taco salad), cheese and sour cream. Then olives if you’ve got them.
Homemade Indian Fry Bread
I grew up on Navajo tacos, I was always so excited when my mom said we were having Navajo tacos for dinner (I was that annoying child that would ask my mom what was for dinner just as we were finishing lunch, or sometimes even they day before. I liked to know the menu).
They’re just so incredibly delicious, you really need to try them for yourself and see!
I actually shared this recipe about 4 1/2 years ago when I first started blogging, but I make these probably once a month so I decided to update the photos.
The Shortcut Filling
Another way I make these, besides the beef filling listed is just with leftover chili. They both work perfectly as long as you make this simple homemade Indian fry bread – that’s the key to this recipe.
If using leftover chili just rewarm it and be sure to use a slotted spoon to drain of excess liquid before you add them to your fry bread.
How to Make Fry Bread
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Separately mix melted butter and warm milk.
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and stir until mixture comes together.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow to rest 5 – 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a pot to 350 – 360 degrees.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll to about 6-inches.
- Cook one a time in oil until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from oil and drain.
How to Make Navajo Taco Filling
- Saute onion and garlic in skillet.
- Add beef, season with salt and pepper and cook and break up, until browned.
- Drain fat. Stir in spices, kidney beans, canned diced tomatoes and green chilis.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over Navajo fry bread with toppings.
They Really are the Best Navajo Tacos!
Just imagine a pillowy-soft yet chewy center is encased by a lightly crisp, perfectly fried golden brown exterior then its generously topped with a deliciously flavorful, browned beef taco filling and all those classic southwestern toppings.
Such a satisfying taco to say the least! Try them out and you’ll see why I’ve craved these as long as I can remember.